As described on the installation page, VersionPress has stricter system requirements than vanilla WordPress – specifically, we require Git on the server and
proc_open() enabled. This is for good reasons but also means that hosting is a bit of a challenge. Most of our early users run VersionPress on dedicated servers or VPS's that allow complete control and that's still recommended, however, there are also a couple of shared hosts that fully support VersionPress today.
The info here largely applies to the single-site features of VersionPress only. Version 2.0 added support for sync / team workflows that are even more tricky to support on a shared hosting. For those scenarios, VPS or a custom server is strongly recommended.
Here are a couple of hosts that we or our users confirmed work fine with VersionPress:
- FastComet – SSD cloud hosting with CloudFlare & 24/7 Premium Support
- Byte – performance webhosting in Netherlands
- WebFaction – hosting for developers
- Uberspace – hosting space in Germany (Git 1.7 pre-installed, upgradable to 1.9+)
- Pair Shared Hosting – by pair Networks
- Elbia Hosting (SK) – Slovak hosting company
- SiteGround – VersionPress can be installed but some issues have been reported
- WebHostFace – SSD-powered hosting with Free SSLs & 24/7 Expert WordPress Support
- 45AIR – Low Cost WordPress Hosting - Git 2.10+, full shell access, and VersionPress pre-installed.
Help us improve this list
If you know of a host that supports VersionPress please send a pull request.
Here are some unsupported hosts for the moment. If you are their customer, please let them know that you'd be interested in VersionPress support – if they see more demand for it they might add support for it.
- WP Engine – they have intentionally restricted environment that doesn't allow
proc_open(). We acknowledge that WPE is important to our users and are actively looking into how to support it.
- FlyWheel – they don't have Git installed